Arata Jingu | 神宮 亜良太
I am a second-year Ph.D. student at Human Computer Interaction Lab at Saarland University, advised by Prof. Dr. Jürgen Steimle.
My interests are: (1) redefining computer interfaces with haptics, (2) making haptic information shareable worldwide, and (3) enhancing future entertainment.
LipNotif: Use of Lips as a Non-Contact Tactile Notification Interface Based on Ultrasonic Tactile Presentation
Arata Jingu, Takaaki Kamigaki, Masahiro Fujiwara, Yasutoshi Makino, Hiroyuki Shinoda
In Proc. UIST'21 (full paper, acceptance rate: 25.9%)
Lips as Notification Receiver.
Lips as Interface
My three papers (CHI'23, UIST'21, WHC'21) explored "Lips as Interface". Lips have high potential as I/O interfaces: dexterous, inherent in humans, sensitive to touch, electrically conductive, valley-shaped capable of converging ultrasonic waves, close to other intraoral parts, and easy to access from the outside environment. Just as our fingers have become a touch I/O interface in today's touchscreens, we might witness how our lips EVOLVE in the following decades.
- 2023.06 ERC Proof of Concept Grant: 1-year funding
- 2022.10 SIGCHI Gary Marsden Travel Award: $3.2K
- 2022.05 Funai Overseas Scholarship (Most honorable scholarship for Japanese PhD students, acceptance rate: 9%): $3K/month for 2 years
- 2018.03 Mercari BOLD Scholarship for SXSW 2018
- 2022.03 2nd Best Dean's Award, Master's Thesis at the University of Tokyo
- 2019.11 Laval Virtual Award, 27th International collegiate Virtual Reailty Contest (IVRC)